Common Home Hazards You Need to Know About

4 Common Hazards That Could Be In Your HomeAll homes have the potential to be hazardous, no matter how new they are or how recently they had work done. Because of this, it’s important for Passaic County homeowners to know the different types of household hazards that could be lurking in their basement or over their heads. Knowing the signs and risk ahead of time can help homeowners identify hazards earlier on so they can remediate them and protect themselves and their families. Here are some of the different common household hazards all homeowners need to be familiar with.

Lead Paint

Until 1978 when lead was outlawed, it was used as a common additive in paint due to how cheap it was and how it helped the paint cover walls. Because of this, there are a lot of homes still out there that have lead paint covering their walls, and that can be dangerous. If ingested, lead can cause a variety of different effects, including:

  • Tiredness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Memory loss
  • Irritability
  • Headaches
  • Pain in hands and feet

And after prolonged exposure to lead, it can even cause brain damage. Homeowners who suspect their home has lead paint on the walls should have it inspected to get a definitive answer and take the appropriate steps from there.

Radon Gas Leaks

Most homeowners are familiar with the signs of carbon monoxide and how it’s artificially scented to smell like rotten eggs to get the attention of people in the home. Radon is a similar gas that can have a variety of ill effects on a person’s health, but radon is carcinogenic and radioactive. Because radon is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, it can be in homes without anyone knowing any better. In order to protect against radon in a home, homeowners should have a radon detector. If the detector identifies radon, it will alert the homeowners so they can take the proper steps to remedy it.

Exposed Wires

If a home is old or being renovated, there’s a good chance there are exposed wires somewhere in the home. Exposed wires create a risk of electrocution for anything that comes in contact with them, so it’s important for homeowners to remedy them as quickly as possible. If the homeowner doesn’t want to touch the wires themselves, they can hire a professional to do it. However, if they don’t mind going the DIY route, they can use electrical tape and wire caps to cover the exposed wires. Just be sure to follow a thorough guide if attempting this for the first time to avoid electrocution.

Mold Growth

Mold growth is a silent hazard that can be deadly if left to propagate. There are many different varieties that can have different effects on health, but if people are exposed to it for a long amount of time, it can potentially cause toxic mold syndrome, which can cause a variety of problems that mimic allergies, so it often goes unnoticed. Exposure to mold can also worsen symptoms in people who have asthma and other respiratory conditions. Other effects of toxic mold syndrome include trouble concentrating, anxiety, pain, unexplained weight gain, numbness, and more. Homeowners who suspect mold in their home can buy a mold testing kit from a local hardware store or have a professional come out and inspect their home.

It’s important for homeowners to be aware of the different types of hazards that can potentially be lurking in their homes. These are just some of the different hazards homeowners need to know about, and others worth looking into include asbestos and pest infestations.

Post a Comment